Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Secret Dream

When I was young,
when naivete was pardoned,
I told my obliging mother,
that I wanted to keep a star.

I said," Look, Mummy,
they're so shiny and pretty!"
And my mother said with a smile,
'Yes, just like diamonds.'

When I was a little older,
and a little more realistic,
I confided to my best friend,
that I wanted to live in the clouds.

I said," Look,
the clouds are so dreamy and soft!"
And my best friend agreed enthusiastically,
'Yes, it's just like being on a plane.'

When I got yet older now,
and saw too much of the world,
I never did make more unachievable goals,
nor did I forget them.

I said to myself," Look,
the diamond on my ring shines more constant than the star,
and sitting on a plane is drier than living in the clouds,
with the same view to boot!"

I laughed at my childhood aspirations,
with a tinge of bitterness that I never noticed,
until I realised that compromise was never as
Satisfying, as the real thing.

But I suppose there was never more purpose in dreaming,
because the dream was impossible, or close to.
So now I look out the large glass window every night,
gazing at the stars I can never reach.

I peer at blue skies in the day,
accessing the clouds like a property agent.
There was never much joy in having dreams fulfilled,
for there would be new desires, and more corrupt wishes.

It is the Hope that I enjoyed,
and the mystery of having a secret dream.
And now that I have already fulfilled that,
I should have no reason to desire more.

20 July 2006

No comments: